Wednesday 6 June 2012

Coconut whipped cream

Last night, as I do, I was experimenting. I made a cake and wanted an icing for it. I didn't much like the sound of the icing that was suggested to go with my cake, so decided to make my own. I decided it needed to be creamy and rich, but not too heavy as it was a very dense cake.

I love whipped cream. I love it's billowing, fluffy, creamy, lusciousness. But, whipped cream by itself is not necessarily a good cake topper. A perfect topping for pavlova yes and excellent sandwiched, with lashings of jam of course, between beautiful light sponge cakes. But, I needed something more for my cake.

So, I decided to try something new.

I poured a good glug of cream into my mixer (I must remember to dedicate a blog post to my mixer, it is amazing) and started it whisking. As it started to thicken, I added some good thick coconut cream and continued whisking. I also added something that I never add to whipped cream - icing sugar. I don't usually like icing sugar with cream, because I don't want my cream sweet, I'm usually adding it to something that is already sweet enough. But, I thought the coconut might be a bit bitter without a little something to sweeten it, just a little.

I just keep adding a little sugar and a little coconut cream until I had the perfect combination.

The result was better than I had hoped for! It was so, so delicious! Creamy with a hint of coconut, but the coconut flavour was not too overpowering. This coconut whipped cream (its new name) would be so perfect with a pineapple dessert or cake. I need to get my thinking cap on about what I can make so I have an excuse to make this coconut whipped cream again! Yummo.

No comments:

Post a Comment