Friday 1 June 2012

Awesome websites/blogs

I have been home today feeling a little sorry for myself after a biking incident yesterday. The bike is fine, I'm a little worse for wear... Nothing that a few days of rest won't fix though.

Anyway, my forced rest means I had a whole day to fill on the couch, and what better way than by browsing baking and cooking sites. I found some beauties so I thought I would share.

The first website is The Pink Whisk. Ruth was a contestant, and eventually came second, on the first series of The Great British Bake Off. It was a really enjoyable show, and I note that the second series is running, I hope that it is shown in New Zealand.

The Pink Whisk is a great blog, really cute and informative. I only wish I could enter the wonderful competitions from NZ!

Ruth has just produced a gorgeous-looking book, The Busy Girl’s Guide to Cake Decorating. Ruth suggests Amazon, but Book Depository has free postage, so worth checking out (also on special, so even better!)

The next website I want to share is KiwiCakes. My Mum posted me this article about KiwiCakes from the local paper (the business is based in my home town of Whangarei). Oh my gosh, I could spend hours on this site trawling through the seemingly endless supply of wonderful baking goods, decorating supplies and other goodies. It's almost too overwhelming, I want everything!

KiwiCakes also has a blog which is full of delicious recipes, tips and product reviews.

The other website I discovered was Cake Central. The tutorials page is really good, full of clips and information on how to decorate various cakes and other bits and pieces. I particularly love this cake.

And, always remember that YouTube is your friend. Just about anything you want to learn about, you can find on YouTube. I can spend a good chunk of time lost in the world of YouTube baking demonstrations. On that note actually, I'd really like to learn how to drape fondant icing on a cake. But, I can't find instructions anywhere (I might be using the wrong search terms). If you can help, let me know!


1 comment: